Sunday, October 28, 2007

Porting Global to Swing

Pivot and I spent a good couple of hours yesterday working on the Pokemon Global client.
It was a lot of effort, and we got most of the porting to Swing done, all that's left would be to port Slick's Render() method by using a modified version of Java's PaintComponent(). Hooray for class inheritance! I'd hate it if we had to do all of that from scratch. Pivot is going to be doing all of that though since he's the one who knows how that works.
On the meantime, I've got to start looking at the APIs for pretty much every desktop manager we plan to support if we want to use transparency in our pnales, since Swing doesn't offer native support for that. I'm probably going to start withe the KDE 3.5 APIs, then move to KDE4, then GTK+. Pivot will most likely be doing the OSX ones since he's the one with the mac, and if we get Ryan, maybe we'll get him to do the Win32 and Win64 ones, else that'll most likely be me.
I've updated the concepts for the in-game GUI, and it looks like it might become more than a concept, we'll most likely end up turning that into the final copy if all goes well.
The link to the new mockups is http://www.pokeglobal.net/forums/showthread.php?t=509 if anyone wants to check it out.
Other than that, I'm just here impatiently waiting for Tuesday, when KDE4 RC1 is supposed to come out. It'd be even better if I learned how to compile it from SVN, but until I learn, it's still waiting on the releases.
For now I leave you with the following question:
"What is the average speed of an unladen swallow carrying a coconut traveling East?

No comments: