Friday, October 19, 2007

Kubuntu 7.10, KDE 4, and Pokemon Global

Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon is finally out! Been waiting for a really long time. Problem is, the download speed when I tried to update my web server/work computer was about 20kbps max speed. That's pretty slow for a 600mb download.
I left it upgrading over night, I'll have to check in the morning. In the meantime, I've been looking into JEPE for my current project, Pokemon Global. This, for those of you who don't know, is an open source Pokemon mmorpg, based on the GBC/GBA/DS games. We're using Java and xml databases for cross compatibility, and so is JEPE (an open source engine for Pokemon style games), so we might form an alliance.
On the other hand, I've been playing with the third Beta of KDE 4. It looks simply amazing. Plasma is reaching a whole new level, and this is definitely what the world of desktops needs. The idea of completely redefining the way icons work, as well as the new Plasmoids and panels, it'll fully integrate everything with everything else. It's an amazing concept. The games look really pretty too, since they're fully taking advantage of the newly integrated SVG support. Scalable graphics with no loss of quality really do make a difference when it comes to icos and games.

No comments: